Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Weekend Quiche

I have started buying several quiche shells to keep in the freezer for weekend breakfast. It gives me an excuse to have heavy cream in the house as well. 


The one we made this weekend included kale, tomatoes, and Parmesan cheese. You can really combine any ingredients you want -- we have made them with all different vegetables(spinach, basil, kale, collard greens, tomatoes, onion, mushrooms) and meats (we've used pancetta, bacon and salami), but usually try to mix ingredients that will go well together. I like using a nice hard cheese like Parmesan or Gruyere as well.

The prep work isn't too bad, you just don't want the ingredients to be too different in size or they may cook unevenly. You don't want a raw squash cube and a mushy mushroom.
Heat the over to 375 degrees -- but keep the quiche shell frozen until you need to use it.

Super colorful!
The base I use is 1/2 cup cream, 1/2 cup milk, salt, pepper, and 4 eggs. I also love using thyme with eggs as well, so I put a bunch of thyme leaves in with the egg mixture. 


Action shot. Ignore my pink bathrobe in the background.
Sadly, I have no "after" picture -- we were just too hungry. But it was pretty tasty. The one thing I think I would change is to reduce the amount of tomatoes included. It ended up making the quiche a little soggy, even after cooking it for 45 minutes (which should be plenty of time).

No comments:

Post a Comment