Monday, April 18, 2011

April 11: Chicken Roulades with Roasted Sweet Potatoes

Last week, I decided to make chicken roulades and sweet potato fries/roasted sweet potatoes.  


I sliced up the sweet potatoes into wedges, drizzled them with olive oil, and sprinkled on salt and pepper. They went into the over at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes or so.



I cut the chicken breasts in half, and put them into a plastic bag. I flattened them by hitting the bag with a rolling pin. I also cooked some frozen chopped spinach in the microwave, and drained it to add as part of the stuffing.

That move makes our neighbors really happy. 
After I flattened the chicken breasts, I added the cooked frozen spinach, some sliced sun-dried tomatoes, and goat cheese crumbles on one end, and rolled them up. 
   

I breaded the flattened chicken breasts with a little flour, then dipped them in the slightly beaten egg, then breaded them with homemade breadcrumbs. 

Homemade breadcrumbs = toasted wheat bread. It isn't fancy, but they are better for you than the store-bought breadcrumbs.
Roulades are in the pan with some olive oil to fry them up.
I pan friend the roulades for about 10 minutes, 5 on each side. The roulades that were placed so that the seam was down tended to cook better than those that unrolled a little.


I then put the pan directly in the oven, and cooked the chicken the rest of the way.


The sweet potatoes were more soft vs. crispy, so I wonder if maybe the heat should have been higher or maybe the potato wedges should have been cut more like fries. The roulades turned out pretty good! The filling, especially the spinach, helped keep the chicken from drying out. I'm a big fan of the stove-to-oven move with meat, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment